Scattered among the adventuring world's piles of mundane, utilitarian spikes, are a few that have been enchanted with exceptional abilities.
So, a dozen spikes, plus a few more:
1. Undead Control – Will allow command of an undead when driven into the body. Doesn’t work on skeletons, for the practical reason that there is nowhere to embed it:
- 1-6 - up to 2HP
- 7-9 – up to 4 HD
- 10-11 – Up to 6 HD
- 12 – Up to 8 HD
Legends exist of spikes capable of powers over vampires or liches, but these would likely be nearly unique items.
2. Teleport – Allows the bearer to teleport themselves once per day, unfortunately the spike has to be embedded into the body of the user to be effective
3. Tree-spike – When driven into a forest's aged methuselah-tree, it will kill the forest within a ½ mile radius. The bane of druids and forest elves.
4. Armored Door - When used to spike a door, it acts acts as wizard lock. Alternatively, it could increase any door's damage resistance to be equivalent to a 2’ thick stone wall.
5. Lost Trail – When driven in a path during pursuit, the spike will act similar to confusion, diverting or misdirecting pursuit.
6. Mountain-climber – The spike, when driven into a sheer surface, will multiply to a line of pitons, up to 60 feet. The line of spikes disappears by removal of final piton/spike.
7. Builder – When driven into a sufficient pile of wood or lumber, the spike will self-construct a cabin up to 10'x10'.
8. Ringer – When driven into stone, the spike creates a resonance that will allow a miner to detect veins of valuable stones or metals within 100'.
9. Bind Incorporeal – Holds an incorporeal being (up to 5HD). Allows damage with non-magical weapons.
10. Water from Stone – When driven into rock, this will yield 1 gallon per use per day.
11. Mental Block – Secures a 50' radius area with ‘forgetfulness’ Useful for hiding large objects, up to small to moderate-sized buildings.
12. Long Pole – Converts to 10-foot pole, because why not?
13. Three Questions – When driven into a corpse, the bearer is allowed to ask three questions. However, the longer the corpse has been deceased, the user will be limited to simpler questions, and/or will receive more ambiguous answers.
14. Black Spike – When driven into the heart of a sacrificial victim, it will call one of the Unspeakable Gods for a period of one hour. The spike must not be disturbed during this time lest the Unspeakable inhabits the caller and terrorizes this plane of existence.
15. Stonewalker – When driven into a statue, it will rise and act as caryatid column.
16. Fence - Creates a 20' long by 8' tall section of wrought-iron fencing.