Monday, July 27, 2015

Do Something Scary...

Ok, so we all need to get out of our comfort zone, out of our box occasionally...

Like a lot of us - I'm an introvert - painfully so, sometimes.  And it does get in the way of my personal and professional communication.

I needed to try something to break some patterns, to pick up a few tools.  To scare myself a bit.

So, a voiceover class...

There are about 20 of us in a room - sometimes with pre-prepared scripts, sometimes cold-reading. We read to the group - a disparate mix of students, actors, salespeople, a construction worker, a couple of engineers, a couple of homemakers, under the tutelage of our instructor.  We are about halfway through the seasons - essentially a survey of the various applications of voiceover - ads, dramatic, cartoon, narrative, gaming, etc.

So how does the concept of standing in a recording booth, reading a script off a stand, apply to the real world?  Well - I (we) get coached to slow down, relax, convert nervousness to energy. Make any script our own by interposing our personality and interpretation. All applicable to face-to-face communication, as well, I suppose...

I'm not sure if anything will come out of it, but I definitely feel a spike in energy throughout the class and afterward.

And for your entertainment, some behind-the-scenes of Antonio Banderas voicing Shrek's Puss In Boots....


So, anyway - remember to step out of the comfort zone occasionally.

That said, I realize this is my 200th post - throwing my little ideas out into the aether... Hopefully a few of those ideas have found homes on other's tables...  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment