Your party may not be the only intrepid group of adventurers within the dungeon. A flickering torch and hushed voices are seen/heard down a corridor...
1. Retreating from dungeon - forces diminished, spells used, out of potions, cleric dead.
2. Have secured the item/objective sought by the party
3. Seeking the item/objective sought by the party (cooperative)
4. Seeking the item/objective sought by the party ( belligerent)
5. Willing to ally with party (Intend to betray or waylay the party. The party is just meatshields to them.)
6. Outwardly hostile or belligerent...
7. No reaction. " 'sup guys..."
8. Running from something big. It may be a good idea to run, too...
9. Just cleared the level. 4 in 6 chance that traps and hazards have been marked or sprung. 4 in 6 chance that any treasure has been collected.
10. Retreating from a deeper level, see #9.
11. Lost/disheveled/resources spent. Will attempt to sponge off party ("Got anything to eat?")
12. Allied/parlayed with dungeon denizens, PC party not aware of 'arrangements', may betray established order.